Nanteos Mansion sits directly on the site of a much earlier manor house, Neuadd Llawdden, which can still be found with front door and windows still intact, in the cellars below the house. The flooring dates back to the 11th century with flagstones worn from the steps of previous inhabitants.
In its heyday the Nanteos estate totalled some 33,000 acres throughout Cardiganshire or, as we know it today, Ceredigion.
The building of Nanteos began in 1739 under the direction of Thomas Powell, MP for Cardiganshire, funded by the considerable wealth of his wife Mary Frederick, granddaughter of Sir John Frederick, Lord Mayor of London. Thomas however, died before the work was completed and the estate was left to his brother, the Reverend William Powell to complete the work in 1752.
Nanteos remained a family home for the next 180 years until the last surviving Powell, Edward Powell, died in 1930. Margaret, his wife, remained in residence until her death in 1951.
The next 60 years saw a succession of owners, but a lack of sufficient investment and vision saw a decline in the fortunes of the estate and the mansion fell into disrepair. The present owners, or custodians as they prefer to be known as, set about a multimillion pound refurbishment of this Grade 1 listed Mansion, together with its Grade 2 Listed stables and walled garden.
The 30 acres of grounds, continue to be sympathetically restored following the opening in Spring 2012 of Nanteos Mansion Country House Hotel.